As you probably heard, the United States Supreme Court legalized homosexual marriage for all fifty states this morning. The 5 to 4 majority claims that such couples have this right based on the 14th Amendment to the Constitution.
That Constitution begins with “We the people…” In other words, the document was crafted and ratified by the people of the states as the final interpreters of its words. Any interpretation that violates a common sense approach to the Constitution which an average American can find in its words as originally written, is unconstitutional. Whether the President or Congress or a majority of the Supreme Court or any lower Federal judge or even a member of the Federal bureaucracy—whoever makes such unconstitutional claims, the people of the United States must refuse to comply.
Here is the relevant section of the 14th Amendment:
Section. 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
This was crafted following the Civil War to ensure that blacks had the same rights as white citizens in our country. No one in Congress, the white house or any state understood these words to ever authorize re-defining a moral standard. In other words, the law of the land was to be applied according to “the laws of Nature and of Nature’s God” (from the Declaration of Independence).
Scientific researchers have found no basis on which to claim homosexual “orientation” is genetic like race and gender. In fact, much of the evidence indicates such sexual desires and practices are shaped by one’s social context and life experiences. You can review such details at this helpful site: http://americansfortruth.com/issues/health-science/.
Marriage is a fundamental principle in Christian truth. Its nature defines male and female, reproduction, faithfulness and infidelity, and Christ’s relationship to His Church. Put bluntly, to rebel against Christ’s truth on marriage is to rebel against His authority. If we rebel on this, we abandon Christianity.
Our response to the Supreme Court can be simply stated: out of loyalty to Christ we will not submit to anyone who seeks to force us to accept homosexual marriage (or any other kind of unbiblical marriage).
This resistance must shape our whole lives now. I can summarize it in seven words:
- Authenticate: we must assert the final authority of American citizens—the Constitution as built on the moral values of the Declaration of Independence; beyond this, we must assert the final authority of American Christians—the Holy Word of God, the Bible.
- Consecrate: we must decisively and continually commit ourselves and all our possessions to standing firm for God’s definition of marriage…at whatever cost.
- Educate: we must further explore the Bible’s truth on marriage and sexuality for ourselves, further explore the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, and further explore the scientific and medical facts against homosexuality; AND we must pass on these truths to others around us in our daily lives.
- Participate: we must get involved in local, state and Federal government to stand for these truths;
- Legislate: we must do what is necessary to move legislative bodies to stand for these truths (which includes Congress impeaching all justices who promote homosexual marriage).
- Demonstrate: we must show the love of Christ to those who oppose the truth, as well as applying that truth to our public and private lives, saturating our existence with our commitment—the world must see the truth in action.
- Perpetrate: lastly, we must willingly violate any law, regulation or judicial decision which violates the plain meaning of the Constitution of the United States of America; such civil disobedience is sometimes the only recourse of citizens in a free society and it may so clog the bureaucratic system that enforcement of immoral laws breaks down.
Friends, please remember the real implication of this Supreme Court decision (a reality already true since before its 1973 ruling for abortion): five people in black robes claim the privilege of deciding the moral standards of our society by changing the meaning and intent of words in our Constitution. That is plain tyranny. Such totalitarianism will not stop growing in our country unless “We the People” rise up and hold all government accountable to “the laws of Nature and of Nature’s God.”
If you want my help to grow up in resistance to this tyranny, please let me know.
In the Lordship of Christ,
P.S.: Please note that this is my writing, not an official statement of Westside’s leadership. Neither of my fellow elders reviewed this before I passed it on to you. (Though I am certain they support the general meaning of it.)